Spring is just around the corner and that means there are many new fashion trends coming in! We asked Elizabeth May (@Playgroundinheels on IG), a local fashionista, for her favorite spring makeup looks that goes with just about any outfit or occasion.
Start With A Clean Face
- Moisturizer: First Aid Beauty Coconut Smoothie Priming Moisturizer has a beautiful pearlescence shine and instantly gives your skin a glow.
- Eye Cream: Ole Henriksen Banana Bright Eye Cream
Glowing in Spring
This first look is perfect for all occasions whether I am at the office or running errands. It is also a great base look that can used to create other looks.
Foundation: Laura Mercier Flawless Radiance Perfecting Foundation
- Wet a makeup blender and squeeze out excess water. Blend foundation with the damp blender to create a smooth and dewy look.
- A damp blender prevents too much makeup from being absorbed into the sponge.
- Apply from lash line to eyebrow line.
- Brush the eyebrow hairs closest to the bridge of your nose straight up, then pull the brush through the rest of your eyebrow hairs following the natural contour of your eyebrow.
- Allow gel to set. We’ll apply the eyebrow pencil later.
- This is the equivalent of a makeup Swiss Army knife. It can be used as a bronzer, highlighter, face setting powder, and as an eyeshadow palette. Get one!
- Dip your makeup brush in the bronze triangle and sweep under your cheekbones closest to your ears and stopping mid distance to your nose. Then sweep the bronzer around your hairline and lightly under the length of your jawline. This is a highly pigmented bronzer, a little bit goes a long way, be sure to tap the excess pigment off your brush before applying.
- Swirl your blush brush in the color, tap off excess, make a big smile and swirl the blush only on the fleshy apples of your cheeks!
- This technique gives you a natural flushed appearance.
- Make a big smile and *dab* the stick on the top crest of your apple and continue to dab on the very top of your cheek bone. Remember to dab the stick and do not drag, or it will remove your blush and foundation.
Eyeshadow/Eyeliner: If you are applying then use now.
Mascara 1st Coat: L’Oreal Voluminous Lash Paradise in Blackest Black.
- Wiggle the wand into the base of your top lashes and slowly pull through your lashes.
- Wiggling the mascara wand first helps separate your lashes into the brush and gives longer, more even lashes without clumping. Just do one coat for now, we’ll come back to apply a second coat later once the first coat has completely dried.
- The eyebrow gel should be dried and set by now. Make sure your pencil is sharpened and simply fill in any gaps using short, upward strokes following the natural slant of your eyebrow hairs set by the gel.
- Dab the concealer under your eyes and gently blend with the damp makeup sponge. This also gives you a chance to clean up any eye makeup.
- I dab a bit between my eyebrows, under my nose, and in the middle of my chin to cover any redness my foundation didn’t cover.
Mascara 2nd Coat: Apply a second coat, concentrating on the tips of your lashes, this prevents clumping
Lips: Cargo Reverse Lip Liner in Medium
- Outline the *outside* of your natural lip and gently blend into your skin.
- I love reverse lining because it creates a natural and clean look, plus it prevents lipsticks from feathering!
- Apply lipstick or balm of your choice.
- Avoiding the bronze triangle, take your powder brush and swirl the three other colors.
- Apply to the middle of your forehead, the tip of your nose, the middle of your chin and any other areas that may get oily throughout the day.
A bright matte eyeshadow is the perfect compliment to dewey spring skin.
- Sweep your favorite eyeshadow all over your lid. Use a color that is slightly darker than your lid color to line your eyes and blend into your crease to create depth in your eyes.
- I'm wearing a peach and fuchsia color in the photo, which are my favorite colors to usher in the 2020 spring season.
Lady In Red
The color of your lip can change the mood of your look. This spring consider swapping your matte lipstick for a glossy lip balm for a dewy, refreshing look. Here are my recommendation for lip balms.
Top Left - Nars Lip Balm in Orgasim for a peach undertone.
Top Right - Revlon Superlustrious Sheer Lipstick in Pink Truffle 860 which is a dusty rose color.
Bottom Left - L’Oreal Nude Balm in Plush Plum 219 is a sheer plum color with a hint of gold sparkle.
Bottom Right - Clinque Sheer Almost Lipstick in Black Honey, don’t let the name or the color in the tube fool you, this is a gorgeous burgundy sheer lip balm.
But if you're not a lip balm kind of gal, here are a few matte lip colors that are still in the spring sprit.